Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Get a Seeing-Eyed Dog

This story was easier to comprehend and relate to than "Under the Ridge". All of Hemingway's stories leave me with an odd feeling; sometimes, it's almost sad but I can't quite tell.

This couple seems to be more in love than most of Hemingway's couples. There's still a conflict and the couple is still unhappy, but I think they're unhappy due to circumstance and not by a lack of love for one another. The husband is blind, and I'd like to know what made him blind. It's clear that he wasn't always blind, but it's not clear when he went blind or why. The iceberg effect can be obnoxious in this aspect because I want all the details, but they're not always there. The husband is extremely worried about his wife's welfare. He thinks that if she has to keep taking care of him, it will wear her out and "destroy her life." Maybe he doesn't realize how much she loves him, or maybe he is underestimating her strength. I think this couple has been put into a bad situation and they aren't sure how to handle it yet. The blindness must be somewhat new because they seem to still be grieving the loss of his sight and their old lifestyle.

The comments about the dark were interesting. "This isn't like the real dark. I can see very well inside." The husband tries to be more optimistic about his condition and his fate, while the wife is more distressed by it. I think it distresses her because she can tell that her husband is only trying to appear strong. She even tells him "You don't have to be so bloody noble." She knows he wants to be brave, but she doesn't expect him to be.

The way that this couple interacts is indicative of a strong, long-term relationship. I think it's sweet that they have "barred" phrases. It's like they've been together for so long that they have gotten tired of certain terms and made it a game not to use them.

I think I like this couple. They aren't arguing over an abortion, or having a hard break-up. They're hurt and it's sad, but I think they can get through it. I have hope for the couple in this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment